Earlier this week Google Hangouts on Air was introduced. So, now when you setup a hangout, it gets broadcasted live on your Google+ stream or your YouTube channel. Why could this be important for your business? Read on.
What this Means for You
- Go-live from your laptop: Now live broadcasts are only a few clicks away. Stream your hangout publicly on your Google+ profile, your YouTube channel, and your website. In addition, during your broadcast you can see how many people are watching live.
- Auto Save to YouTube: Every Hangout on Air is automatically saved to your YouTube account- no software download needed.
- Editing Functionality: Once your hangout has been recorded you’ll be able to edit the recording when the hangout is over. What is great about this, is that after you edit your video, your post (including the video URL) will automatically be updated to show the edited version.
- Global Reach/Sharing: Your hangout video is shared publicly on Google+ and on your YouTube channel. In addition, you have the ability to re-share the video just like you would with any other. So when I say global- I mean global.
How it Works
Enabling real-time broadcasting is extremely easy and can be done in the following three steps:
- Click to start a hangout and invite specific people or Google+ circles to join you. Then your hangout a name.
- Check the “Enable Hangouts on Air.” Note: The first time you do this, you will need to agree to the Terms of Service and also link your YouTube account. Learn more.
- Finally, click “start broadcasting” and you will go on air. Note: you will have a 5-second delay and then your hangout will broadcast publically on your G+ profile, YouTube channel. You can also broadcast live to any websites where you have embedded the code for your hangout.
The Business Case: How You Can Leverage it
There has been a lot of chatter on this in the industry, labeling Google Hangouts on Air as a “game changer.” It could be a pivotal point in terms of online engagement and extended reach. With the ability to share your videos on via your Google+ profile and YouTube, you are canvasing a much larger pool with far less work. The value to customer-focused businesses can potentially be huge. From a customer-centric approach, when used right, this can be a huge asset in customer experience and engagement with your brand. Video bloggers and podcasters are also going to have a field day with this. Get ready.
If you have a number of national offices like R2integrated, or a remote workforce, Google Hangouts on Air can truly benefit your team in terms of collaboration (with screen sharing and live video) as well as keeping the team experience alive, you can broadcast presentations, virtual conferences, board meetings, roundtable discussions, or you can event interview potential job candidates.
Have you tried out Google+ Hangouts on Air for your business or your teams? Do you think it transforms Google+ Hangouts into a valuable business tool?
Share your opinion by leaving a comment below or get me at @saminj58.